Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Luna Moth

http://www.spigotsciencemag.com/

Just as our Spring 2010 issue BUGS was being given a final edit by our superman editor, Nat, and we were putting the last touches on a video interview we did at Insectropolis in Tom's River, NJ, I ran smack into a filmy, pale lime Luna Moth. What a sight! It was Mother's Day. We were brunching at my son's and daughter-in-law's lovely home. The day was still and filled with the pinks, whites, and yellows of Spring. My grandaughter Kelly came running into the kitchen,"Grandma, grab your camera, quick! It's a surprise!" I followed her outside. She was pointing excitedly at a spot, nose-high, on the sweet gum tree outside her house. The seedpod balls from last season were still scattered on the ground. Usually I gather them all up and paint them shiny gold for glorious winter arrangements. These must have been the ones I had missed. We oohd and aahd and stared and got nose-close to see the fuzzy antennae, the eyespots and the long tails. I took a picture from every angle and, at the time, wondered what is this filmy, pale lime beauty that is hanging on the bark of the sweet gum tree in the middle of the afternoon, at my grandaughter's house.
Once home, I called my friend Sue with whom I had recently spent a day visiting the Insectropolis--a Bugseum in New Jersey. We interviewed an expert there, all about bugs, while we were surrounded by bugs, and beetles, and spiders and all sorts of creepy-crawly things. Sue knew all about the Bugseum. She had arranged our visit. And, she was full of bug knowledge having taught kindergartners about bugs for years. In fact, she ended up going home from there with a prized molt of a tarantula which had just shed its skin. Sue couldn't wait to take her prize to show the school children. When I told her with great excitement of the filmy, pale lime creature hanging on the bark of a sweet gum tree, she immediately knew what it was.
"A Luna Moth," she said. "Yes they are beautiful...and sad too. They have a very short sad life," she said. "In fact, they have no mouth--they don't eat. They only live for about a week and their only purpose is to mate."

Valeria B. Girandola, Editor-in-Chief
Spigot Science Magazine for Kids and Classrooms
http://www.spigotsciencemag.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment